Encryption is the process of encoding information in such a way that eavesdroppers could not read the information unless they had a special key to decrypt it. Encryption is used everywhere, from banking transactions to your personal computer’s hard drive.
Learn More About Encryption
Please take a look at some of our detailed guides, in each one you’ll find subtopics of all the main technologies and encryption techniques involved:
- Cryptographic Attack Vectors – In cryptography and cybersecurity, the term attack vector refers to a path or vulnerability in which a hacker gains unauthorized access to a network, computer, or server to deliver a payload that contains malware or other another malicious result.
- Classic Encryption – A cipher is a mechanical operation, also called an algorithm, that is used to decode small chunks of encrypted code. The Caesar Cipher is the most famous and easiest to use, as it maps each letter in the alphabet to another letter. This is also called a shift cipher.
- General Computer Security – Cybersecurity does not boil down to the best antivirus software. You need your own protocols in place, in addition to software, to truly protect yourself. However, there are some basic needs that you can set up to have more control and protect your system.
- Cryptanalysis – This cryptanalysis guide goes through some of the methods and techniques to figure out ciphers and decrypt code. However, most of these methods will not work for modern cryptographic algorithms used in most cybersecurity platforms today. We show you why below.
- Hash Functions – Hashing is the action of changing passwords into unrecognizable strings of code that are designed by impossible to convert back. These are also called hashes. Some hashes can be cracked more simply than others, but it’s still a difficult task that most novice hackers won’t be able to do.
- Best Canadian VPNs – VPNs are an integral part of online security. In this review, we compare the top 15 VPN solutions for Canadians.
- Meilleur VPN Canada – Top VPN providers in Canada, written in French
- Best Password Managers – High-quality password managers are an important tool in protecting one’s data and privacy.
- Best Netflix VPNs – Canadians looking for access to US Netflix will need a VPN. In this guide, we cover a few of the top choices.
- Best Home Security – Over the last year, we’ve compared the best home security solutions to help you better understand the various differences.