Privacy Canada is community-supported. We may earn a commission when make a purchase through one of our links. Learn more.
LearnCryptography.com Acquired By Privacy Canada
In Jan of 2020, LearnCryptography.com was acquired by the Canadian privacy group Privacy Canada. Learn Cryptography has helped thousands of readers better understand digital privacy and encryption. They have worked towards increasing support for open source projects through free education and high quality content.
The decision to join the Privacy Canada family comes after discussing the mutual alignment of our ethos – educating the global community about digital privacy.
What This Means for Learn Cryptography’s Readers
Nothing much really, same great content just on a new home. We’ve also expanded out all of the major guides on Learn Cryptography to reflect recent changes in computer security.
Our Mission at Privacy Canada
At Privacy Canada, we believe in a world where individuals can maintain and own their digital identities. We help research tools and information for Canadians to better understand the ever changing landscape of digital privacy and protection. Written by Canadians for Canadians. Privacy Canada was original a server database for secure transactions and communications. We have since moved all sensitive communication and document-sharing to Signal, Wire, Tutanota and Tresorit.
What is Cryptography and Why is it Important?
Cryptography is the study of techniques used to communicate and store information securely without being intercepted or accessible by third parties. Cryptography is a broad field with applications in many critical areas of our lives.
Learn Cryptography is a resource to helping people understand how and why the cryptographic systems they use everyday (such as banking transactions, website logins, and more) work to secure their communications and protect their privacy.
We encourage you to check out some of the best guides on Privacy Canada, including those which were previously part of LearnCryptography.com:
Learn More About Encryption
Please take a look at some of our detailed guides, in each one you’ll find subtopics of all the main technologies and encryption techniques involved:
- Cryptographic Attack Vectors – In cryptography and cybersecurity, the term attack vector refers to a path or vulnerability in which a hacker gains unauthorized access to a network, computer, or server to deliver a payload that contains malware or other another malicious result.
- Classic Encryption – A cipher is a mechanical operation, also called an algorithm, that is used to decode small chunks of encrypted code. The Caesar Cipher is the most famous and easiest to use, as it maps each letter in the alphabet to another letter. This is also called a shift cipher.
- General Computer Security – Cybersecurity does not boil down to the best antivirus software. You need your own protocols in place, in addition to software, to truly protect yourself. However, there are some basic needs that you can set up to have more control and protect your system.
- Cryptanalysis – This cryptanalysis guide goes through some of the methods and techniques to figure out ciphers and decrypt code. However, most of these methods will not work for modern cryptographic algorithms used in most cybersecurity platforms today. We show you why below.
- Hash Functions – Hashing is the action of changing passwords into unrecognizable strings of code that are designed by impossible to convert back. These are also called hashes. Some hashes can be cracked more simply than others, but it’s still a difficult task that most novice hackers won’t be able to do.
- Best Canadian VPNS – VPNS are an integral part of online security. In this review we compare the top 15 VPN solutions for Canadians.
- Meilleur VPN – A comprehensive list of some of the best VPN services out there.in French.
- Best Password Managers – High quality password managers are an important tool in protecting ones data and privacy.
- Best Netflix VPNs – Canadians looking for access to US Netflix will need a VPN. In this guide we cover a few of the top choices.
- Best Home Security – Over the last year we’ve compared the best home security solutions to help you better understand the various differences.